Financial Help and Benefits

Carers Allowance and Benefits

Available to those over the age of 16, a carer is eligible if the person spends 35 hours caring for someone, isn’t in full-time education, earning more than £100 a week or receiving benefits, such as a state pension, in excess of £55.55 a week. The Carer’s Allowance is £55.55 weekly.

Accessing a Family Member’s Finances

Social care management relies on a carer being able to access an Adult who lacks capacity’s funds and early intervention prevents a situation escalating unnecessarily which can be very stressful for those involved.

Whether it’s to arrange for payment of residential care costs or day to day living expenses, such as utility bills or food, we can advise you on how to achieve this as simply and quickly as possible.

Disability Allowance

Disability Living Allowance is available for people with a disability, physical or mental, under the age of 65, regardless of whether the person is employed or has savings.

However, the Allowance will change in 2013 and be replaced by the Personal Independence Payment.

Presently there are three tiers of payment, rated according to the level of care required. The Allowance also includes a mobility element, based on two levels depending on the disability.

An adult can also claim on behalf of a child with disability, following an assessment of the child. Assistance can be claimed towards short breaks, nursery placement and activities, as well as personal care.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is available to adults aged 65 and over who need care because of a mental or physical disability, including a sensory disability.

Based on a two tier rate, depending on the level of care provided, the Allowance, paid weekly, is £49.30 or £70.60.

Employment and Support Allowance

This Allowance replaces Incapacity Benefit which was phased out in 2011 and provides assistance to help people unable to work because of an illness or disability.

Following a medical assessment (called a Work Capability Assessment) areas of health-related support will be identified. An advisor will provide help with training and preparing to get back to work.

Alternatively, if it is identified that you cannot work, financial support will be provided.

Council Tax Reduction for Carers

A reduction is available to carers looking after someone living in the same home and providing a minimum of 35 hours a week caring.

Council Tax Reduction for Disabled People

Subject to certain criteria, assistance in Council Tax payments is available through the Disabled Band Reduction which ensures a person with a disability doesn’t pay more because their property size is bigger as a result of having a disability.

Winter Fuel Benefit

During November and December a tax free payment is made available to help older people, born after January 1951, to stay warm.

Payment varies according to circumstance, for example if a person lives alone, but starts from £100 rising to £300.